HOME ABOUT ME PATTERNS/TUTORIALS FEATURED CONTACT ME

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Meet Elfie

We started the Elf on the Shelf family tradition this year.  If your not familiar it's basically a pixie elf that Santa sends to live in your home and report back all the happenings so he knows if you've been naughty or nice.   It's a really cute story and our elf appeared the day after Thanksgiving.  The boys named him Elfie and are so excited to find him every morning.  At night he flies back to the North Pole to tell Santa how the kids have been behaving and when he comes back he lands somewhere new. 

Like every December I'm cleaning out the house, making room for new toys and I've been having the boys decide which toys to give away this year.  They have been so good and so giving that Elfie brought them a reward.  We put our tree up last night and that is were he landed this morning with a note and 2 trains.  My boys are obsessed with trains!







He wrote a little poem for the boys.  He's not a very good poet;) 

Nate and Mason,
I've been watching you as you play.
Proud of what good boys you are each and every day.
Your willingness to give your toys to boys and girls who have none.
Makes me even prouder, that's a job well done.
Keep up the good work and your rewards will be plenty.
Jesus loves good little boys who give their hearts so gently.

Love,

Elfie





We are also going to start the First gift of the year tradition.  This was posted over at I am momma hear me roar and was created by Delia Creates.  She made a box with envelopes inside and the year on the outside and before everyone opens presents you write down your gift to Jesus.  Something he would do or would want you to do.  Then every year you read the ones from years past.  I love this idea.  It's been so easy for me to get caught up in the business of the season and forget to teach my children the real meaning of Christmas.  Thanks Delia for this great idea!

What are some of your family traditions? Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this little Elf is popping up all over the place. I have a 6 month old and an 8 year old stepson (who no longer believes in Santa :( ) I may have to get that little Elf later when Brady (my son) is a little older.

    And I am also a follower of I am momma hear me roar!! I have SOOOO enjoyed her posts this week. Haven't you?! I'm also going to star the "gift box" as well! I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ours is named "Silly Pinnochio", and is actually a real vintage one that I already had! ALthough I have to say, I don't know that his presence has changed the behavior much around here, unfortunately...! Cute poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elfie is a better poet than he thinks; his rhyme is adorable and I'm sure the boys were thrilled. (^_^)

    Our traditions with our daughter are still fairly simple. I've been teaching her about Jesus and why we celebrate Christmas, but also letting her get into the Santa thing. I loved the story of St Nicholas and still do! But she doesn't quite get it yet, haha. We are planning on having her give some of her toys, just like you do with your boys, but she's also not quite getting this yet. I hope she understands it more as she gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Elfie! I remember several of them on our Christmas tree when I was little girl many, many moons ago! I love the "First Gift" concept. My children are grown but I think this will be nice idea to pass on to my grandbabies parents.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! It so great to hear from you and it is what keeps me motivated to create.