HOME ABOUT ME PATTERNS/TUTORIALS FEATURED CONTACT ME

Sunday, December 12, 2010

T-shirt to tights





I learned the best thing ever over at made by rae.  She has a great tutorial on how to make baby tights!  When Madeline was born she was only 5lbs 6oz and had the skinniest little legs and feet.  Nothing would stay on those precious little feet so I started making tights.  They are super easy and now I make a new batch about ever month as she grows.  Since she was so small I made my pattern by tracing her legs.  I still make them that way because I can make them to fit her perfectly.  Last night we had a family Christmas party and I realized about an hour before I didn't have any red knit to make tights.  I did however find a worn out t-shirt in my hubbies drawer that was the perfect color! 

To make them I traced one of her legs on the front of the shirt, added room for seam allowances, and added 4" to the top to make room for her diaper and the elastic waist.  I cut out the pattern which gave me both fronts.  I then traced that on the front of the shirt to get the second set which gave me the back of the tights.  I wanted the right side of the tights to be the wrong side of the shirt since the shirt was stained and damaged so after I cut out my legs they were already right sides together and ready to be sewn.








After I made the middle seams I put the tights right sides together and sewed all the way around using 1/2" seam allowance.  I curve in a little around the ankle so they fit her feet snugly. 









I should probably use a zig zag stitch but so far I haven't had any problems using a straight stitch.  After turning them right side out I try them on her and make any adjustments. 




And here is the finished product







Here she is sporting her refashioned t-shirt with Santa.  Santa was a 15 year old cousin this year and SOOO sweet! 




How are you all doing in preparation for Christmas?  Is it smooth sailing or panic time? 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! It so great to hear from you and it is what keeps me motivated to create.