HOME ABOUT ME PATTERNS/TUTORIALS FEATURED CONTACT ME

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Handmade Halloween Shirts and a Dress

I finally did it!  I made all three kids something to wear to celebrate one of our family traditions!  This is of course always my goal but I usually only finish one of the kids outfits in time.  It helped that I used  the super easy Tee for Two pattern by Figgy's.  The pattern is for making raglan knit t-shirts or dresses.  The sew time for these tees was seriously about 15 minutes each!  I don't have a serger so I reinforced all the seams with a zigzag stitch since these take lots of abuse.  The fabric is from Joann Fabrics. The black is a medium weight knit and the orange sleeve are made from double stretch knit. I've made several of these in the past and the boys love how comfy they are!










We go to the same place with family every year and make a very special day out of it.  I love that I was able to make it even that much more special for them! 








For the design on the front I used freezer paper, a bleach pen, and some orange fabric paint.  This was really fun for the kids because they got to participate.  We found designs on the internet they liked and printed them out.  Next I traced the design onto the freezer paper and cut out the pattern.  We then used a bleach pen to lighten the black so you could see the paint.  Once the bleach was dry we finger painted inside the stencil with orange paint.  If you head over to A Lemon Squeezy Home you can see Christie's amazing freezer paper Halloween shirts.  Her haunted house was much more detailed and totally cool!  She just used the bleach pen which left the design several shades of orange.  That was my original plan but the orange was too light and didn't match the sleeves.




This is the color the bleached turned the black knit.




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! It so great to hear from you and it is what keeps me motivated to create.